Fangirl

Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell No one writes love stories like Rainbow.  No one writes coming of age stories like Rainbow. There’s a level of realism that as a reader I don’t even realize I’m missing until I read one of Rainbow’s books.

The development of Cath and Levi’s relationship builds so gradually and with such detail that everything else I’ve read seems shallow.  I’m at a loss for words to describe Levi.  He’s a swoon-worthy romantic lead, but not because he’s so hot (from context I’d guess he’s attractive) or brooding (he’s pretty much the opposite of brooding).  Reading about Levi is like having a light turn on that you didn’t realize was off – man that sounds cheesy – but he really does just light up the page.

The coming-of-age aspect I mentioned a bit ago is also handled elegantly.  Cath grows throughout the novel in her writing, in how she deals with new situations and people, and also in how she views herself.  What’s truly amazing is how natural the growth feels – I felt as if I was watching someone grow up and cheering her on as she did it.  Avoiding confrontation comes naturally to Cath, but I really admired that when she was forced to express her feelings she was honest.  She never diminished her own feelings because someone else might think she was being overly dramatic.  Cath instinctively understands that even if something is a bigger deal to her than others, it doesn’t mean that she’s wrong. Every major character - Cath, Levi, Wren, Reagan, and Cath’s dad - mature in this novel. It happens organically as events in their lives change their perspectives or make them more confident of what they already believed.  None of them were two-dimensional – I felt like I knew and wanted to be friends with all of them.

Full review at